Party walls

Advice for property owners

Preparing your property for sale

Party walls

Converting a barn

Valuing your property

Extending your lease (enfranchisement)

High hedges

Subsidence worries

Protecting thatched roofs


If your property is attached, semi-detached or terraced, you share a wall or walls with your neighbours. This is known as a party wall and it separates buildings belonging to different owners. Where a wall separates buildings of different sizes, only the part that is used by both properties is considered to be a party wall. The rest belongs to the person on whose land it stands. You must obtain your neighbours' agreement before you start any building that involves a significant cutting into the wall, and this includes structural alterations, damp proofing works, extensions and also some internal refurbishments.

For further information contact
Tony Saffery MRICS